This page has moved to a new address.

Lost & Found

The Watered Soul: Lost & Found

Jul 20, 2010

Lost & Found

lostbread Do you ever loose your keys? It seems I’m always in search of mine. My family tells me I should tie them around my neck. Even my purse seems to enjoy playing tricks on me by swallowing up my keys. And my niece and nephews still poke fun about the time we were in Memphis and I was going berserk about my keys when I was actually holding them in my hand.  Yep, my hand-imagine that. Searching for something you know you’ve lost is very different from discovering a thing you weren’t even aware you’d managed to loose in the first place.

Recently I read 2 Kings 22-23. While cleaning up the temple a priceless treasure was discovered-God’s Word. It seemed a little odd to me that finding the Word of God in His Temple would be something unexpected. Upon reading the Words, King Josiah learned that his nation had been living against the Lord’s command. The King’s actions gave me some key principles when finding something I might have lost that’s valuable.

  1. Don’t just stick a label on it and place it on the shelf again:  After finding this treasure, the king didn’t simply store it in an unforgettable place.
  2. Use what you found: His discovery moved him to action-first he read it. Had it read to the people.
  3. Clear out the clutter: He removed distractions by tearing down the idols in the land so that he and the people would be more inclined to focus on this rediscovered treasure.
  4. Seek God’s direction: He sought Godly godly counsel.

Have you ever lost something and forgot you ever had it? I have and I’m not just referring to tangible stuff. In some ways, I lost who I was. Things I once adored no longer even crept into my mind. I forgot that I ever had a passion for it. However, a couple weeks ago, after hosting a youth recognition day, my sister made a statement-“you’re coming back to your old self”. It was just a statement made in passing but some how it stuck with me.  The event struck up some old creativity and passion that I had long forgotten existed and cease to use. But, as I was focusing on the scripture passages, I gleaned some application for right were I am. Isn’t that what the Bible is for anyway?

Now that the spark was reignited, it’s my job to keep the flames a burning. Not tuck it in a cute little box as a memorial but to put it to use as much as possible.

Have you tucked away some gifting, talent, revelation, dream or inspiration? Perhaps it’s time you dust away the cobwebs and let the wind of the spirit blow on it again.

Lord, forgive me for neglecting to tend to and realize the value of the treasure you’ve given to me. Now that I’ve rediscovered it, Lord, show me what your plan is for it. And teach me how to use it so that it might bring you glory. In Jesus name. Amen.

Photo Credit: here

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

At July 20, 2010 at 1:27 AM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

It's one thing to lose a set of keys, but another when one loses their direction in life, many the time I have thought hey what am I doing here and why.
Common sense soons returns but I hope I don't lose my way too often.

Yvonne,

 
At July 20, 2010 at 6:17 AM , Blogger Karen said...

Wow, this is something to think about! A very well-written post.

 
At July 20, 2010 at 7:36 AM , Blogger Missie said...

I so have, thank you for the reminder that it is a gift I need to use!

 
At July 20, 2010 at 7:55 AM , Blogger BLUEBUTTERFLY said...

Amen! It is one thing to have something in the deep for protection, but it quite another when it's buried so deep that the purpose is never realized.

Keep ignited, Wanda!

 
At July 20, 2010 at 8:26 AM , Blogger Joanne Sher said...

SO powerful, sweetie. Great stuff to remember.

 
At July 20, 2010 at 9:38 AM , Blogger Will Burke said...

It's been about a year since I've picked-up my guitar. It's about time...

 
At July 20, 2010 at 3:14 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Those passages about Josiah finding the covenant were my Bible reading yesterday. It felt so good to see one of the Kings coming back to God.

Great post Sis. I'm glad you're coming back to who you are in Him. Praise God.

 
At July 20, 2010 at 5:26 PM , Blogger Arlee Bird said...

Sounds like you and I are on a similar train of thought today.

Lee
Tossing It Out

 
At July 20, 2010 at 7:13 PM , Blogger Wanda said...

Yvonne, you're right there's a difference b/w the two but the results are the same...I'm not able to go anywhere really :)
Thanks, Karen
Missie, pick it back up again dear.
Bluebutterfly, I love that thought. There is a time when things are to hidden/buried to allow for proper germination.
Thank you,Joanne.
Will just may be time to strike up a tune for your girls :)
Lisa, no matter how bleak things look. He always leaves a remnant who will turn back to Him.
Lee, indeed

 
At July 20, 2010 at 8:14 PM , Blogger elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Hey Wanda... thanks for stopping by the blog and leaving a comment.

I adore this teaching, and "yes"... there have been seasons in my life (a recent one comes to mind) when I've lost a bit of myself in the process of my life. I've been so overwhelmed by our recent move and, at times, have felt great discouragement. I'm rallying now, but it's been a hard climb upward.

Like Josiah, I need to keep the Word in front of me to serve as a constant reminder and encouragement regarding the holy life I've been called to.

peace~elaine

 
At July 20, 2010 at 8:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for such a wonderfully honest post! I have done this too many times to count! Thankfully God keeps tabs on our treasures and lets us know when we lose are forget them!

 
At July 20, 2010 at 8:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanda, it looks like there's a lot of cleaning going on today. ;) I love it.

Yes, it most certainly is up to us to fan the flames. Staying connected to the body is definitely one way to keep the flame going. You know that old story of the coals burning together but if you take one out and set it apart by itself it simply stops burning.

Loved this post.

 
At July 20, 2010 at 9:23 PM , Blogger Karen said...

Love the lesson you are teaching here....

 
At July 23, 2010 at 4:32 PM , Blogger Petula said...

Excellent post... so true and a great reminder.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home