This page has moved to a new address.

No Death Today: Resuscitate Instead

The Watered Soul: No Death Today: Resuscitate Instead

Jul 12, 2010

No Death Today: Resuscitate Instead

tired
Have you ever felt like what you were doing wasn’t working? Ever contemplated throwing in the towel or withdrawing your name from the race? If not, I sure have. Life is full of ups and downs. For me, last week just happened to be one of those down times. Although there was nothing that occurred out of the ordinary, it was the ordinary itself that seemed to sap my strength.
During a time of fellowship with the Father this weekend, I was instructed to strengthen what remains. Blinded by the mundane, I couldn’t see any remaining parts. As I pondered, I was reminded that God always leaves His people with a remnant. Though it may be small, the leftover was enough to get things done with God. Consider Nehemiah and the rebuilding of the wall for an example. His enemies thought it foolish to use the rubble to erect the wall and even if he managed to get it standing again, it certainly couldn’t withstand any opposing force.
Like Nehemiah, I was challenged to strengthen the remaining rubble of my faith, hope, love, prayer, and worship. As small as it might be, it was time to fortify it. But, how you ask? Two simple ways:
  1. Put God’s Word on it. An increase in my Bible consumption and application enlarges my spiritual fortitude. 
  2. Exercise it more. Anything you don’t use atrophies.
We’ve been given some weapons by our Commander-in-Chief but even they, like a knife that becomes dull after extended use, require strengthening at times. Our use of the Word of God has to be sharpened to allow for more precision in our lives. Let’s not forget about our armor. Like clothing stretched out of shape over time, our armor can have too much slack in it making us more vulnerable to the enemy’s attacks.  Tighten up your belt of truth!  Readjust your helmet of salvation! Pull up the laces on your shoes of the gospel of peace. Move your breastplate back into position! Lift up your shield of faith and sharpen sword! Don’t get slack in clothing yourself daily with EVERY piece of the armor of God.
Having donned the proper attire with weapons in hand, we can begin picking up the rubble-clip_image001broken fragments. Breakdowns happen in life either through wearing out over a period of time or by sudden brute force. Has there been a chronic problem or situation that has caused a rift in your faith, hope, love, prayer, or worship? Or, maybe it was something unexpected-sickness, job loss, infidelity or betrayal-that is threatening to murder your trust.  Regardless of the reason for your brokenness or weariness, it’s vital that you strengthen what remains. God hasn’t asked us to do anything with what was lost but only the remaining part. Perhaps your faith love, prayer, and worship are all intact. But are there some spirit led activities or ministries that you started out strong, full of passion but the lack of participation or expected results has caused your commitment to wane? If God hasn’t called you to stop a thing, your assignment now is to fortify it.

Revelation 3:2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.

Are there some areas in your life that you need to strengthen? If so, refuse to let it die!

Father God, I thank you for your loving kindness. Only because of your great mercy we’re not consumed. Thank you for giving me an ear to hear you and now that you’ve given instructions help me to obey. Forgive me for becoming so distracted by what was not that I neglected what remains. Today, I refocus my eyes upon you. For you are my help, my salvation, my redeemer, the lifter of my head, and my exceedingly great reward! In Jesus name, Amen.

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

At July 12, 2010 at 2:43 PM , Blogger Joanne Sher said...

Oh Wanda - such a reminder.If God hasn’t called you to stop a thing, your assignment now is to fortify it.

I so needed that. Thank you, friend.

 
At July 12, 2010 at 2:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! This really spoke to me too! I have been considering throwing in the towel in several areas of ministry lately. Timely piece for me. Thank you!

 
At July 12, 2010 at 3:14 PM , Blogger duopastorale said...

How timely for me!! Thank you for writing for us.

 
At July 12, 2010 at 3:58 PM , Blogger LisaShaw said...

An encouraging powerful reminder but this says it all: "Are there some areas in your life that you need to strengthen? If so, refuse to let it die!"

Blessings!

 
At July 12, 2010 at 4:25 PM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

A most inspiring post Wanda, wonderfully written.

Yvonne.

 
At July 12, 2010 at 7:02 PM , Blogger unnamed lad said...

i agree with Yvonne...it is a beautiful write. was also just talking with my neighbor/friend about ups and downs. was telling him of yesterday's event while sitting and drinking a brew with him. actually, i'm slippin past my limit....

 
At July 12, 2010 at 8:48 PM , Blogger Ella said...

Powerful words! Very inspiring~
I love refuse to let it die~
Thank you xXx

 
At July 12, 2010 at 9:19 PM , Blogger Will Burke said...

I'd agree that it's often not an event, but thew monotony of "Life Happens" that takes us off our game. Best of luck getting back on your feet!

 
At July 12, 2010 at 9:45 PM , Blogger Wanda said...

@ Will, thank you. Every now and then a funk seems to wash over me.

@ Ellie, Bud, Yvonne, Lisa, Mike, Pathfromtheheadtotheheart,Joanne, I'm grateful that you all were able to receive encouragement from this post. Don't give up!

@Bud, well tomorrow is a new day, my friend to get back within your limit ;)

 
At July 13, 2010 at 7:56 AM , Blogger BLUEBUTTERFLY said...

Wanda, how true. When you said "just the ordinary itself" I could feel myself going back to yesterday. I was listening to a piece on the life of Harvey Pekar and what struck me was his desire to let everyone know that there was nothing "ordinary" about them.

We all have things in common (we're all created by God), yet we also are each uniquely uncommon...vessels fit to be used for His purpose.

Everybody's like everybody else, and everybody's different from everybody else. - Harvey Pekar

I celebrate the EXTRAordinary you, Wanda.

 
At July 13, 2010 at 10:03 AM , Blogger The Handmaid of the Lord said...

Hi Wanda: I do enjoy reading the Bible every day, preferably in the morning, before I come in contact with people. Lol. This good habit has helped strenghten me in times when throwing in the towel seems to be very desirable.

Receive peaceful today.

 
At July 13, 2010 at 10:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, I'm really wondering how you made it into my head and managed to see what I've been going through. What an AWESOME word of encouragement! I needed this more than you know. This is one I'll save for later, when I may need another dose. Thank you for allowing the Spirit of the Lord to use you.

 
At July 13, 2010 at 7:44 PM , Blogger Karen said...

"God hasn’t asked us to do anything with what was lost but only the remaining part."...I needed to read this today...thank you for being obedient....

 
At July 13, 2010 at 10:09 PM , Blogger Wanda said...

@ Bluebutterfly, you'll never know how much those words watered my soul, my dear friend. Your kindness is greatly appreciated.
@The Handmaiden, Morning times is my favorite too. Getting our dose of the Word helps us to be better prepared for the day ahead.
@Wisdomvirtueandrubies, you mean I'm not the only thinking like that :) Actually I've read/heard several reminders lately that I'm not the only one going through such. Only the Father knew what you needed and I'm honored that He used me as the vessel.
@Karen,Thank you. Lately I'd been too focused on what was missing/lost. Thanks to God for realigning my focus. May your eyes be firmly set upon Him.

 
At July 19, 2010 at 10:06 AM , Blogger Nikki said...

I have really enjoyed visiting your blog this morning. I love the way you write and you write Truth! Love it! I'll be back to visit again, my sweet sister!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home