This page has moved to a new address.

When is long better than short?

The Watered Soul: When is long better than short?

Feb 21, 2011

When is long better than short?

Being what I call directionally challenged, I often go the route I know best rather than run the risk of getting lost. Times when I felt rather daring I have ventured down unchartered territory and on several occasions I have discovered that for months I had been going the long way around. I wasted needless time and gas going the sure way.

When Pharaoh finally let the people go, God did not lead them along the main road that runs through Philistine territory, even though that was the shortest route to the Promised Land.

Now God is not directionally challenged like me but even He, the all-knowing one,  had people take the long way around. Everything He does is purposeful.

God said, If the people are faced with a battle, they might change their minds and return to Egypt.   So God led them in a roundabout way through the wilderness toward the Red Sea.  Exodus 13:17

Going the long way around processed the Israelites for possession of the promise. Had they went the short route, perhaps they would have visited the land but certainly would not have had the stamina to maintain it.

Dear Lord, forgive me for all the times I’ve assumed that I really know best. Forgive me for all the times I have murmured and complained about what is yet to manifest in my life. For your promises are yea and Amen. You already know my final destination but it is me that you are preparing for it as I go along the journey of life. Thank you that you know the way that I take. I’m never out of your eyesight or reach of your loving hands.

Father I pray for my fellow brothers and sisters as they walk along the course you have set for them. May they be ever mindful that you are with them whether they find themselves wearily walking the long road or speeding down the fast track. Strengthen them I pray. May they have renewed confidence in You, Lord.  In Jesus name, Amen.

 

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At February 21, 2011 at 8:42 AM , Blogger Joanne Sher said...

Wonderful reminder. Thanks for this!

 
At February 21, 2011 at 9:01 AM , Blogger BLUEBUTTERFLY said...

Oh, Wanda, I was falling out of my chair about being directionally challenged. Thank God for His grace...really. "I am reminded of a favorite verse: By your endurance you will gain your lives." - Luke 21:19

 
At February 21, 2011 at 9:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Wanda, this is so on target for me today after a very challenging week last week AND weekend too. I began to look for the promises that have not manifested and the thorn that is still in place after a lifetime and it only brought me pain. Just this morning I shared with friends how some promises we will simply not see this side of heaven, BUT, Heaven lives in us and He is all we need. I also commented to them that instead of praying for the thorn to be removed, we should always pray that the abundant grace which has already been given to us would be revealed to us more profoundly because with it, although the thorn is not removed, it will no longer sting us.

Thank you for your visit. Always good to stop by. Love your blog design. Blessings!

 
At February 21, 2011 at 9:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, I took your lovely new button too. ;)

 
At February 21, 2011 at 10:12 AM , Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I like this thought, God is not directionally challenged :) I agree...

 
At February 22, 2011 at 1:24 AM , Blogger Sharon said...

Wanda, dear Wanda - I just took this prayer of yours, and quietly let you pray it over me. I so needed it tonight. Thank you for your wise and encouraging words. God takes us down just the right path, at just the right pace - yes, this gives me renewed confidence!

GOD BLESS!

 
At February 24, 2011 at 6:50 AM , Anonymous Tina C said...

I enjoyed your post. I'm directionally challanged too. That's why I have to seek God so much about what road to take or what turn to make. Lately, I've been thinking more of the process. There is a reason for the path (long or short) He gives us. After all He has to prepare us for the war and the victory that lies ahead. He will be our guide even unto death...

 
At February 24, 2011 at 10:13 PM , Blogger Carole in the UK said...

Wanda, LOL. That first paragraph is me all over. Sonetimes, I take the long route in order that I can have some thinking and reflection time!! Strange but true.

Thank you so much for your prayer, which came straight from the heart of God.

Keep sweet in the Lord.

 
At February 25, 2011 at 11:36 AM , Blogger Rita Garcia said...

You have inspired and blessed me! I'll grab your button for my blog before I leave! Have a wonderfully blessed day!

 
At February 25, 2011 at 1:25 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I feel like God is taking me the long route at this very moment! I am positive He is doing a good work in me so that I can be ready for the promise land He has for me!

Awesome insights!

 
At February 26, 2011 at 6:58 AM , Blogger lioneagle said...

Hi Wanda -

I feel you on this, lady. Thank you for sharing.

In particular, I love this that you expressed, "...or reach of your loving hands.

"May they have renewed confidence in You, Lord. In Jesus name, Amen."

 
At March 1, 2011 at 5:09 AM , Blogger duopastorale said...

That's really helpful. God is more interested in the process and how it changes us more than the destination? Very helpful. Thank you.
<a href="http://thisido.blogspot.com>This I do...</a>

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home