This page has moved to a new address.

Not Left to My Own Devices

The Watered Soul: Not Left to My Own Devices

Mar 14, 2011

Not Left to My Own Devices

"For it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13, NKJV)

I remember the first time I discovered this verse and really contemplated its meaning. I had a light bulb moment. Not only did God give me new desires but He equips me with the power/ability to follow through and act upon those desires. He does not leave me to depend upon my will power alone.

Which happens to be a good thing because sometimes, if truth be told, I don’t have the will to do what pleases Him.  I had much rather cling to self-righteousness than to forgive like He commands of me. So He has to do a work on my will.  I don’t think it’s mere coincidence that the scripture lists will first. Without having first the mind to do, we will never get busy with the doing.

Most things God calls us to do goes against our natural inclination but He gives us the power to do them. Whose power are you relying on to get things done?

desire + power + my cooperation = accomplishment

if anything is missing from the equation nothing really gets done.

desirepower + my cooperation = frustration

power - desire  = no cooperation from me

For God is working in you, giving you the desire to obey him and the power to do what pleases him. Phil 2:13 (NLT)

Lord, I thank you that you are at work within me at this very moment. Thank you for giving me the willingness and the power to obey your word. I pray for my fellow brothers and sisters and those that are lost. Align our wills with your will God. Helps to remember you have already provided what we need to please you. We choose to accept the gift and we cooperate with the work you are doing within in us. In Jesus name. Amen.

Linking up with Monday Manna, which is being hosted by Vonnie at My Back Door.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At March 14, 2011 at 8:24 AM , Blogger Joanne Sher said...

SOOO grateful for His power. Great thoughts, Wanda. Thanks!

 
At March 14, 2011 at 8:52 AM , Blogger Andrea said...

Praising GOD for all HE is doing in and through my life. Thank you for always posting just what I need.
Blessings, andrea

 
At March 14, 2011 at 9:54 AM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Wonderful post Wanda, also a most beautiful prayer.

Yvonne.

 
At March 14, 2011 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

We need Him always! We try to cooperate with His desire, I hope
kim

 
At March 14, 2011 at 3:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had a conversation about this just a few days ago with a friend of mine. You said it beautifully AND truthfully! Thank you!

 
At March 14, 2011 at 8:39 PM , Blogger Ella said...

Thanks Wanda, I was in frustration mode, have been all day. It is me getting in the way. I am now going to go with the flow~ xXx

 
At March 14, 2011 at 9:36 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

Sometimes I just plain lose my way - and then I try to find my way on my own.

Left to my own devices - I always fail.

Thanks for the great reminder.

GOD BLESS!

 
At March 15, 2011 at 10:17 PM , Blogger Jackeline Salva Cagas-Paraiso said...

Amen and Amen...
God's will is indeed the most Perfect will!
Thank you again Wanda :)

 
At March 19, 2011 at 6:35 PM , Blogger lioneagle said...

Hi Wanda -

Amen to this, my sister, -
Amen

You expressed in your prayer,
"Align our wills with your will."

Yes, please, Lord!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home