This page has moved to a new address.

Imprisoned Thoughts

The Watered Soul: Imprisoned Thoughts

May 6, 2010

Imprisoned Thoughts


Stop! What are you thinking about at this exact moment? What thoughts have been swimming through your mind lately? During the course of a day, many random thoughts flow through my head. At times I’m thinking about work, family, blogging, TV shows, Bible verses, or some spark of inspiration.

Being in church I’ve heard 2 Corinthians 10:5 which states, Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God and bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ, quoted on several occasions and I have read it a few times. After reading Mark Batterson’s book Primal a few months ago, that verse took on new meaning to me. He states, “This verse is not just about capturing sinful thoughts and keeping them out of our minds; it’s also about capturing creative thoughts and keeping them in our minds. It means stewarding every word, every thought, every impression, and every revelation inspired by the Spirit of God”. Now this was a fresh perspective for me. Having been someone immobilized by fears and irrational or negative thoughts, I understood the impact of failing to get a grip on your thought life.

But I never considered the responsibility I had to be a good steward of those passing inspirations or God thoughts. I can’t tell you how many times an idea came to mind but I failed to hold it captive and it was soon forgotten until something triggered the memory again. Of course, every idea that comes to mind is not necessarily a God thought but I do wonder what could I do or be, if I did more to arrest those thoughts. If I wasn’t so quick to cast them away as being meaningless or impossible, there is no telling how different my life might be.

Are your thoughts holding you captive to people, places, events or are you holding your thoughts as prisoners? There is a world of difference between the two. Have you come across any quote or book that has changed your perspective on a matter lately? If so, please share.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At May 7, 2010 at 7:06 AM , Blogger Vickie said...

You know Wanda, this is very interesting. I too am so guilty of not being a better steward of my creative thoughts. I know many times I see or hear things and I see a devotional or a poem coming out of it but I do nothing, it comes back another time, I do nothing and it goes.

I too have never seen that coming from that familiar verse, but it is a fresh perspective.

Thx for dropping by my blog. You have a lovely home here.

Blessings,
Vickie

 
At May 7, 2010 at 8:15 AM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Most interesting to read.

Have a good week-end.

Yvonne.

 
At May 7, 2010 at 11:30 AM , Blogger BLUEBUTTERFLY said...

Wow! Great things to meditate on. “I know the thoughts that come into your mind.” “As a man thinketh in his heart.” All through the Bible are references to the thoughts and words of our heart.

We spend a lot of time thinking about the past and the future, often forgetting to appreciate the present, but Ecclesiastes, one of my favorite Books, contains some Verses that are ever present with me, because they make me live in balance:


Never make light of the king, even in your thoughts. And don't make fun of the powerful, even in your own bedroom. For a little bird might deliver your message and tell them what you said. - Ecclesiastes 10:20

In the day of prosperity be happy, but in the day of adversity consider—God has made the one as well as the other so that man will not discover anything that will be after him. I have seen everything during my lifetime of futility; there is a righteous man who perishes in his righteousness and there is a wicked man who prolongs his life in his wickedness. Do not be excessively righteous and do not be overly wise. Why should you ruin yourself? Do not be excessively wicked and do not be a fool. Why should you die before your time? It is good that you grasp one thing and also not let go of the other; for the one who fears God comes forth with both of them. - Ecclesiastes 7:14-18

Everything has already been decided. It was known long ago what each person would be. So there’s no use arguing with God about your destiny. - Ecclesiastes 6:10


The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil. - Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

 
At May 7, 2010 at 3:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

A very powerful verse indeed. So important to remember that it is a twofold process, getting rid of the old (sinful thoughts) and replacing it with the new (creative thoughts).

Great post Wanda! God bless you!

 
At May 7, 2010 at 5:23 PM , Blogger Just Be Real said...

Wanda, my first reaction to what I was thinking while I was reading this post was, I was thinking about what I was reading. Great post. Thanks for sharing.

 
At May 7, 2010 at 6:04 PM , Blogger Tori Cooper said...

Excellent Post! I know what it feels like to be a prisoner to my thoughts and feelings... thank God I have been able to escape. Great word of encouragement! Keep up the good work!

 
At May 8, 2010 at 8:11 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Great post! Our thoughts have such a huge influence on our spiritual life! I am trying to get in a habit of writing "God thoughts" down so I don't forget.

BTW, great picture!

 
At May 8, 2010 at 3:46 PM , Blogger Ella said...

This really gives one something to ponder! I know my head is swimming with ideas, at times! Interesting
way to look at it~

 
At May 8, 2010 at 9:38 PM , Blogger Wanda said...

Ladies,

Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. I pray that each of us will be more deligent in capturing the God ideas.

Blessings to you!

 
At May 9, 2010 at 9:31 AM , Blogger angelarene said...

"It means stewarding every word, every thought, every impression, and every revelation inspired by the Spirit of God”." Loved this Wanda, your quote inspired me...Thanks for this!

 
At May 9, 2010 at 10:08 PM , Blogger Lelia Chealey said...

Hi Wanda!
Wow, I never thought of that verse like that before. I've only thought of it what I can't do. Thanks for sharing this!!

 
At May 10, 2010 at 8:52 PM , Blogger unnamed lad said...

you certainly give your posts a lot of thought, Wanda:) excellent!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home