This page has moved to a new address.

Shammah!

The Watered Soul: Shammah!

Jun 1, 2010

Shammah!

Did you know that God has a sense a humor? Over the weekend, He’s managed to give me my own personal illustrated lesson. As I was doing my morning walk with my dog Friday morning, we came across two black barking dogs. Startled by their presence and their barking, I momentarily halted. Unsure if I should turn around or continue going forward, I quickly analyzed my options. There was no way I could out run them and they were already inching closer and closer to us. In spite of the fear, I quickly picked up a rock and began commanding the dogs to get back. Although they didn’t stop barking or completely retreat, they only came so close to us and caused us no physical harm. The closer I got to my house, I couldn’t help but laugh at how courageous I would look to someone passing by. My arm raised with a rock in hand ready to slay those Goliaths. Yet fear had besieged my mind. God brought the story of Shammah to mind as I neared home. In 2 Samuel 23: 11-12, the Bible tells Shammah’s story of how he courageously defended himself in the middle of a field of lentils against the Philistines while other members of the Israelite army retreated.

God used the run in with the dogs to remind me that is how the enemy does. He attempts to corner us where our options seem to be one of two choices-retreat or defeat. The odd thing is that I had seen one of these dogs at other times during the week when walking but the dog always quickly turned and ran in the opposite direction of us. But on this particular morning there were two dogs, which looked like twins that had combined their forces and were now ready to attack. Double teaming is another tactic used. He comes at us in multiply ways to weaken our defenses. However, when we make up our mind that retreating is not option, we’ll find that God has given us the strength to confront and win.

After getting the victory, imagine my surprise when the next evening I walked out in my yard to discover those same two enemies in my back yard of all places. They did bark but as I was urging them to get out of my yard, it was them that were confused this time. For some reason, they couldn’t remember how they had entered the yard and as my nephew and I were trying to lead them out, they began to try to hide. It seemed my lesson wasn’t quite over. There was still more for me to glean from this situation. Why or how the dogs managed to find themselves in my yard of behooves me. But it did show me that our enemy doesn’t give up easily. Just because we face one encounter and win doesn’t mean will not find ourselves confronting the exact same enemy. But do not allow their resurgence to cause you to draw back.

Are there places in your life that you've been retreating in fear? I learned that the absence of fear was not necessary. Only the courage to keep walking and not back down in spite of it was really what I needed. Did you confront a situation and assumed you had gotten the victory only to see it come back with a vengeance? If so be determined to stand your ground again.


Father, I pray that you reveal to us those areas in our lives that we've been refusing to confront due to fear. Give us the courage, oh Lord, to forge ahead in the strength that you have given us. We thank you that you teach our hands to war. Thank you for strategic tactics to defeat our enemies. Thank you that it is you, who give us the victory.


 

Labels:

12 Comments:

At June 1, 2010 at 1:35 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

This really spoke to me Wanda. I've been feeling attacks on every side, but I am not defeated. I've got the Lord on my side and he is will NOT be defeated.

Thanks for the good word!

PS - I like your new signature line!

 
At June 1, 2010 at 2:03 PM , Blogger BLUEBUTTERFLY said...

Amen! Amen! Amen!!!!!!!!! I'm just going to step on it and do a little dance! Holy! Holy! Holy!

 
At June 1, 2010 at 3:17 PM , Blogger Lorena G. Sims said...

Such an inspirations, Wanda, thank you.. It is so true that our enemy is so persistent and doesn't give up easily..

 
At June 1, 2010 at 4:21 PM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

A wonderful write Wanda, if only you knew how the last four lines hit home to me. Thank you.

Yvonne,

 
At June 1, 2010 at 4:53 PM , Blogger Karen said...

Amen! Standing my ground till the victory comes....

 
At June 1, 2010 at 7:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm learning that sometimes we have it twisted. We think that fear is supposed to go away in order for us to move forward, but really we're supposed to move forward in the face of fear. I love how our Father will encourage us with His word and evidence of His character and principles in everyday encounters like 2 crazy dogs on your path and in your yard. The NERVE of the enemy, and then the Glory of the Almighty! I love it! Thank you for sharing this. I'm adding it to my "list" of lessons from my walk the other day. ;-)

 
At June 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

A beautiful post Wanda and what a powerful message the Lord delivered to you through the dogs. He does show up in the most unlikely places, doesn't He?

Praise Him indeed that He has already defeated the prince of this earth!!!!

God bless you dear!

 
At June 1, 2010 at 9:09 PM , Blogger Ruth said...

what an encouraging post Wanda. its something i needed to hear. God sure does have a sense of humor...
Love your blog. following you.

God bless you mighty!!

 
At June 1, 2010 at 9:09 PM , Blogger Ruth said...

p.s: thank you so much for dropping by my blog...

 
At June 1, 2010 at 10:14 PM , Blogger Wanda said...

No mam, Lisa, you're not defeated. Many are the afflications of the righteous but He delivers out of the ALL.

Dance!Dance!~Bluebutterfly

Lorena, yes the enemies persistence causes us to retreat at times.

Yvonne, blessings to you.

Karen, victory is certain to come!

@Wisdom, I agree with you about us thinking that in order to move fear must not be present. But somethings we'd never do if we want to all the fear was gone.

@ Trudy,Yes He's quite funny. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention when Shammah's story was ministered at service a couple of weeks ago.

@Ruth, thank you & I'm honored that God would speak to you through something I wrote.

 
At June 1, 2010 at 11:10 PM , Blogger Ella said...

I can relate, had a Dr appointment today and wanted to retreat and run!
I was fearful of a panic attack; I didn't have one, but I have before.
I kept telling myself, it will be over soon and I can leave. It was a victory to keep calm and carry on!
I haven't had one in awhile, but it is a reminder when I get in uncomfortable situation that it could occur~

It did seem like, this was a lesson, to see those dogs in your yard...You handled it well!!!

 
At June 2, 2010 at 6:29 AM , Blogger Beth in NC said...

Oh Wanda! What a powerful lesson! You're right, that is just like the devil. And interesting that the attack came to your own home! And the "back yard" makes me think of a "back door" ... just looking for an opening. Argh. I can't stand him.

What a wonderful post! I'm going to ask others to come read this if you don't mind.

Love,
Beth

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home