This page has moved to a new address.

The Unexpected

The Watered Soul: The Unexpected

Jan 10, 2011

The Unexpected

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA           Yesterday, we got snow here in Arkansas. Although I had heard the weatherman’s prediction of possible snow, I didn’t quite expect his prediction to come true. Especially when I peered out the door early Sunday morning only to see things looked exactly the same as it did when I last saw it the evening before. So I went about getting ready for morning worship. Leaving my driveway everything looked the same. Along the journey to church, things looked the same as well. Entering church, outside conditions looked the same. But, somewhere between entering the sanctuary doors and wrapping up our Sunday school class, things changed. Through the windows, we saw the fluffy white stuff that had been announced should make its arrival.

The weatherman had predicted it but why didn’t I expect it to happen? For one, we all know the weatherman does not always get it right but another reason was because it rarely happens here. As I trekked through the snow this morning to take Bella out, my mind is drawn to the similarities between the snow event and our spiritual lives. Whether we hear the gospel proclaimed or open up His Word ourselves, we find many proclaimed promises that have yet to be fulfilled in our personal lives. Unlike the weatherman, God knows all things. He is not just making educated guesses. But I still find some places in my life where I have been looking yet everything looks the same. I looked last week…nothing. Looked last month…nothing. Looked last year….nothing. Has the nothingness I see led me not to expect the fulfillment of His proclaimed promises? Or rather have I allowed what I see with these natural eyes to damper my faith?

Oh Lord, I know that you are God and that you are sovereign. I know that you cannot lie but I find at times my faith is just not where it should be. So I say as that father, Lord I believe but help my unbelief.

P.S. Speaking of unexpected, Yvonne at Welcome to My World of Poetry passed on the  inspiration award to me over the weekend. I appreciate the lovely award and her faithful support.

inspiration award(Yvonne 1-11)

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At January 10, 2011 at 8:08 AM , Blogger Joanne Sher said...

Nothing is unexpected to Him. Great reminder, Wanda. :)

 
At January 10, 2011 at 10:24 AM , Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I felt the same about the weathermen predictions! Great point, God is not like this...He knows!
kim

 
At January 10, 2011 at 10:30 AM , Blogger BLUEBUTTERFLY said...

Great is our God, Wanda. We may not see the changes with our natural eyes or feel them with our natural senses, but God is working.

 
At January 10, 2011 at 11:08 AM , Blogger unnamed lad said...

waiting for anything is extremely difficult for me. our Father speaks to us in so many ways. i've prayed your prayer before in my own life. (i believe, but help my unbelief...) when i first went to China, i happened to discover a Chinese proverb that when i saw it...thought, "thank You, Lord." He speaks to us in many ways... everytime i see fresh snow, i'm amazed how white it is and remember that ours sins are now white as snow. ADD alert! ADD alert! the chinese proverb:

"The oxen are slow...but the earth is patient."

everytime i take matters into my own hands, i screw everything up. then HE has a bigger mess to deal with.

congratulations on a very deserving award!

 
At January 10, 2011 at 12:13 PM , Blogger Wanda said...

You are so right Joanne, absolutely nothing is unexpected to Him.

Yes, he does Kim.

Bluebutterfly, indeed He is at work.

Bud, I like that proverb. God's handiwork is amazing.

 
At January 10, 2011 at 3:43 PM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

We here in the UK has had the coldest December in over a hundred years.......that was unexpected but I hope it stays away.

Enjoyed your post .

Yvonne.

 
At January 10, 2011 at 8:54 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

Such a good point, Wanda. It seems that lately I've been caught up in "cloud watching" - looking at my life and wondering why "x, y, or z" hasn't happened yet. Maybe it's time to get my head out of the clouds, and just wait...God will come through, just in the nick of HIS time!!

GOD BLESS!

 
At January 10, 2011 at 9:08 PM , Anonymous Monica said...

I hear you and can very much identify with the idea of waiting but things appearing to always look the same. However, the Lord is showing me now that situations and circumstances (just like the weather) can change in an instant. His timing is always perfect. We just have to keep the faith and stand on the truth of His word.

 
At January 11, 2011 at 2:40 AM , Blogger duopastorale said...

Interesting. was listening yesterday to podcast about Jesus talking re "you know how to read the weather, but...." He gives us signs that we need to follow. Blessings to you Wanda!

 
At January 11, 2011 at 9:43 PM , Blogger Ella said...

YOU always have insightful post~
Congrats on your award, I love the beauty of snow, but not locked indoors with my family for 3 days.
Cabin fever sets in...

 
At January 12, 2011 at 9:24 AM , Blogger livinginbetween said...

Keep looking, Wanda. Our LORD loves to surprise us!

 
At January 12, 2011 at 9:27 AM , Blogger LisaShaw said...

Very true Wanda. So important for us to keep our eyes on HIM and to live expectancy for nothing is a surprise to GOD and I'm thankful that His promises are true...always!

You said it best here: "Has the nothingness I see led me not to expect the fulfillment of His proclaimed promises? Or rather have I allowed what I see with these natural eyes to damper my faith?"

Thanks for sharing Wanda! Much love!

 
At January 12, 2011 at 7:02 PM , Blogger Analisa said...

So been there Wanda. I pray Lord I know you won't forget me...so please don't forget me. LOL
I also increase my thanks. Work may be hard and other things are shaky but I am healthy. I get under warm covers each night. I know my son is asleep in the room next to mine and we are safe. I know there is food in my fridge...When I think about those little things that others don't have it helps me endure the wait.

 
At January 15, 2011 at 6:50 AM , Blogger LisaShaw said...

Popped back over to say thank you for your LOAM post this morning! Love you and praying for you; for all of us as we branch out in the LORD!

 
At January 15, 2011 at 12:05 PM , Blogger lioneagle said...

Hi Wanda -

Thank you for this sincere piece.

When we are fully armored with GOD, the unexpected does NOT shake us because GOD has us covered!

Now as for those who are not fully armored, the unexpected can indeed shake them...sometimes to the core.

But prayer changes people and things.

May GOD help us all...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home