This page has moved to a new address.

Mission Complete?

The Watered Soul: Mission Complete?

May 17, 2011

Mission Complete?

There is nothing quite like the feeling of seeing one’s task complete. However, as I read passages of scripture from I Samuel chapter 15, I found myself wondering how many times have I, have you, have we called a mission complete prematurely.

  Saul was given specific instructions on how to complete his God-given mission.

Now go and completely destroy the entire Amalekite nation-men, women, children, babies, cattle, sheep, goats, camels, and donkeys. I Samuel 15:3

And he got busy doing the assignment.

vs. 4a So Saul mobilized his army at Telaim. vs 7-9 Then Saul slaughtered the Amalekites from Havilah all the way to Shur,east of Egypt. He captured Agag, the Amalekite king, but completely destroyed everyone else. Saul and his men spared Agag’s life and kept the best of the sheep and goats, the cattle, the fat claves, and the lambs-everything, in fact, that appealed to them. They destroyed only what was worthless or of poor quality.

Saul and the people were pleased with his work but God was not.

vs. 20 But I did obey the Lord, Saul insisted. I carried out the mission he gave me. I brought back King Agag, but I destroyed everyone else. Then my troops brought in the best of the sheep, goats, cattle, and plunder to sacrifice to the Lord your God in Gilgal.

Could there be some places in our lives that we self-righteously assume we have completed the assignment God gave us but if we stop to examine the original instructions, we would find that we veered off  course?

It doesn’t matter how many people are singing our praise because we look successful on the outside. If we fail to obey God, we run the same risk of displacement like Saul.

Lord forgive me for all the times I assume my way of doing things was better. Or I gave into fear and simply didn’t make even the first step toward completing the assignment you had given unto me. Lord give me a willing and obedient spirit. Not just willing to do your work but willing to do it your way Lord. In Jesus name, Amen.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At May 17, 2011 at 7:45 AM , Blogger BLUEBUTTERFLY said...

Oh, Wanda, you have hit on something today. Many people are waiting like the kid who's turned in homework that was not done exactly as the teacher had instruced, expecting some sort of reward or recognition, and are angry when the teacher hands us back the paper with an "F". Sometimes the teacher extends the deadline, but sometimes the "F" is the final grade. It is much better to pay attention during every step of the assignment, follow instructions exactly as given and don't quit until our task is complete. It is better to obey early and completely.

 
At May 17, 2011 at 8:26 AM , Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

You said it right, we do assume that we have it right! I need help with that also!

 
At May 17, 2011 at 9:10 AM , Blogger Joanne Sher said...

Oh, absolutely! We don't listen carefully to Him, do we? We think we're done, and we're not. And he's displeased. Great reminder, Wanda!

 
At May 17, 2011 at 11:03 AM , Blogger Shanda said...

I have thought about this often and even spoke to a women's group about the subject; including the reasons why we stop too early. Never used those Scriptures tough. Great passage to back up the thought.

 
At May 17, 2011 at 11:07 AM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I have not got it right at all,
somewhere along the line I have failed my son, who don't want me in his life anymore and am being deprived of my three grandchildren.
I have prayed for guidance, thought through my last conversation we had and I can't fathom where I have failed.

Yvonne.

 
At May 17, 2011 at 11:53 AM , Blogger Missie said...

how, so true...I don't know how many times I have given one part to God, but not the whole thing. Thank you for sharing these verses

 
At May 17, 2011 at 3:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

How true! We must be careful to do what God says completely. I don't want to try to justify my actions like Saul did. I want to obey - period.

 
At May 17, 2011 at 5:29 PM , Anonymous Tours In Venice said...

I try to be an all or nothing type of person, but I too, get distracted. I think it's in human nature to get somewhat distracted and in it for ourselves from time to time. However, with enough self control and preservation, I feel that we'll be reminded to do the right thing and all of it in His name in the end.
Sara

 
At May 17, 2011 at 7:51 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

Great lesson, Wanda - one that I'm really taking to heart. And, I so appreciated your prayer - I prayed it as my own, because it so echoed my feelings.

By the way, really sounds like you're getting your groove back! :)

GOD BLESS!

 
At May 17, 2011 at 8:59 PM , Blogger Wanda said...

Bluebutterfly, you captured my thought about sometimes disobeying leads to a permanent loss. There are some times when we don't get the opportunity for a do-over.
Me too Kim :)
Joanne, I think there are times that we really think we have done it right but it doesn't what we or others think. Does it?
Shanda, great mind think a like. What passages did you use in your talk?
Yvonne, none of us are perfect and despite what you son may feel that you have done wrong (rather it's real or imagined) I can assure you that you done a bunch of good too. I pray that your relationship will be able to be restored.
Missie & Lisa, oh me too.
Sara, yes the reminds come in many forms but of course its best to pay attention the first time.
Lol, Sharon, I'm trying to find it again.

 
At May 18, 2011 at 12:47 AM , Blogger Susan said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I enjoyed this - what we often forget is when we fail to complete the task God has for us, others losse out too - not just us. Thank you for your insight into this scripture!

 
At May 18, 2011 at 3:09 AM , Blogger einujackie said...

You got it Wanda... it is very true to me.... I am so guilty about it...

 
At May 18, 2011 at 7:44 AM , Blogger Wanda said...

Susan, excellent point. It's not just about us.

Jackie, I think we all have been guilty of it at some point.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home