This page has moved to a new address.

Steps Along the Way

The Watered Soul: Steps Along the Way

May 14, 2010

Steps Along the Way



As I walked this morning, the phrase-the steps of a good man are ordered came across my mind. In fact I’ve read this verse before but I hadn’t read it lately. As I began to ponder that in my mind, I thought about the many situations I didn’t foresee stepping into. Here is not the place in life I thought I’d be walking. At times it seemed like I’ve crept along in the valley of the shadow of death. The shadows and echoes of the enemy threaten to overtake me. You mean even those tiny steps in the darkness were ordered too, Lord?

But what about the steps I took along the paths that I was sure to be the right way but it only led to a dead end? And what about the steps I consciously made away from rather than toward you? Could they have been ordered too?

While I walked up this steep hill, that I usually choose to walk down because it’s easier, I was reminded of the hard places that I have journeyed through. Countless days I was unsure if I could press out another step and other days I was tempted to turn and walk the opposite way. But with the passing of time, I found those small strained steps had taken me to another place. With the change happening so gradually, I had not realized I had moved. The movement was not always physically but my perception, my hope, my faith, my attitude, my thinking moved.

Perhaps if we had to choose, most of us would prefer to walk continually along the smooth path. But despite where you find yourself (even those detours we knowingly take) there is One, who never loses sight of you. If you’re in a dark, dry or hard place just keep walking for the landscape is sure to change. No, I don’t give the false claim that it’ll happen today, tomorrow, or even this month BUT it could. Yet with assurance, I say that if you refuse to stop, you will step onto new terrain.


Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At May 14, 2010 at 3:23 PM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

very thought provoking, I suppose it's always easy to walk the safe way but how dull and predictive it would be,
I enjoyed your post very much,
I hope you have a wonderful week-end.
Yvonne.

 
At May 14, 2010 at 3:56 PM , Blogger Martina J said...

You know many of us take the wrong path in life but hopefully we eventually get back on track. These 'detours' make us better human beings if we decide to learn from the experience.

 
At May 14, 2010 at 5:32 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Amen Wanda, Amen! I am learning this truth through my current journey and have realized my need for Jesus more than ever before. It's a great feeling knowing He's there beside me, every step of the way; just as He is with YOU!

(((hugs)))
Lisa

 
At May 14, 2010 at 8:30 PM , Blogger unnamed lad said...

:)

this reminded me once again of His promisee. all too often i've taken those detours because i didn't fully trust where He was taking me. yes, He brought me back to the path. again. and again. and again...and again. this journey has been incredibly long for me. but i know it's He who is bringing me to a better place. grat post sister Wanda!:)

 
At May 14, 2010 at 9:43 PM , Blogger amy in peru said...

Don't give me the easy path!

"Life's not a level or a smooth road; but it's a blessing to breast the hills and trudge over the stones with a good heart, and I think one sometimes does one's best work on the uphill bits, though one may not know it." Bishop Paget

"Have no fear... You have chosen the roughest road, but it goes straight to the hill-tops." John Buchan

Thanks for your thoughts today and the inspiration to meditate on these truths :)

amy in peru

ps. Your blog is beautiful!

 
At May 15, 2010 at 2:39 AM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Hi if you go to my post "A New Beginning" there's an award for you. I appreciate all the support you have given me.

Yvonne.

 
At May 15, 2010 at 8:33 AM , Blogger Rae said...

Words I will keep with me on my journey... Thank you!

 
At May 15, 2010 at 9:34 AM , Blogger duopastorale said...

Thank you :)

 
At May 15, 2010 at 11:26 AM , Blogger Vickie said...

Great post Wanda. The beauty about it all is that even when we take steps out of the plan HE has for us, He always has a back-up plan to bring us right back on track. That's because nothing surprises Him.


Blessings,
Vickie

 
At May 15, 2010 at 5:22 PM , Blogger Gregg Metcalf said...

All of our steps are ordered by the Lord. Even the "ones that seemed to lead to a dead end." God orders them for a reason, hopefully, as He reveals the reason we are open and responsive. There is no plan B or back up plan with God - everything He does is sovereign and ordained prior the creation of this world.

He is also teaching, blessing, discipling, disciplining, correcting, buidling us in every step. I am afraid we miss so much of it becasue we are not in tune to him but to the things around us.

 
At May 16, 2010 at 8:02 PM , Blogger Wanda said...

Thanks to each of you for sharing your thoughts. I believe that God in His sovereignty always knows the steps we will take even before we take them. However, I believe that sometimes we make choices that lead us into taken longer routes than He had wished for us. Just like in the case of the Israelites. But He is able to reroute us back to the correct path.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home