This page has moved to a new address.

Son or Slave ? {Monday Manna}

The Watered Soul: Son or Slave ? {Monday Manna}

Aug 23, 2010

Son or Slave ? {Monday Manna}

mondaymanna

Today, I’m linking up with Joanne at An Open Book for Monday Manna, which offers fellow bloggers the opportunity to share their thoughts, insights, poems, or devotionals that relate to a specific verse posted at her blog. The verse we were asked to chew on was Galatians 4:6-7.

And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!” Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ. Galatians 4:6-7 NKJ

As I thought on this verse a couple of things came to mind. (1) The difference in motivation of servitude between a son and a slave. A slave serves because he is obligated to do so but a son serves a Father out of love and respect. (2) The difference in benefits/wages between the two. A slave is often paid less than what he actually deserves but certainly he only earns wages for the work he has actually done. If no work, no wages.  However, a son is able to reap some rewards/benefits from his father simply because of the nature of their relationship. As a child of God, I can never do enough or be good enough to earn all of the many benefits that God has made available to His children.  I need not try to earn my salvation but just accept the wonderful gift.

Have you been busy serving on committees and involved in various ‘religious’ programs in an attempt to prove your worthiness of salvation or that you are ‘good’ Christian? To be actively involved in Christian service is admirable and is something I believe that we should do. But what motivates you to serve? If it’s anything other than love and obedience to the Father, perhaps you’re serving from a slave mentality.

What does that verse speak to you?

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At August 23, 2010 at 11:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Wanda, It's amazing how many different perspectives come from Scripture. Each adding to the beauty of the multi-faceted grace of our Lord.

Awesome post.

Blessings, Karlene

 
At August 23, 2010 at 1:54 PM , Blogger BLUEBUTTERFLY said...

Thanks, Wanda. I often ask myself, when I have the opportunity to do something "good", whether I am really doing it unto God. Am I doing it in love, joy and peace, so that the name of God will be glorified. I've learned to back away from the things where I know that my zeal and my motivation for doing them really is not unto God's glory.

 
At August 23, 2010 at 2:25 PM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Thanks for a wonderful post Wanda. I found it most intruging.
must have a peep at that site myself on a Monday when I'm not visiting my daughter,

Take care.
Yvonne.

 
At August 23, 2010 at 3:28 PM , Blogger Joanne Sher said...

Oh - what a GREAT reminder of the differences between slaves and sons. It's so easy to forget there is nothing to earn, and simply an amazing gift. Thanks for participating!

 
At August 23, 2010 at 6:40 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

It's truly overwhelming if we allow our minds to bask in the knowledge that we are sons and daughters of THE MOST HIGH GOD! What a privilege. I only wish more would accept this fact and come into their sonship.

Thanks for a great post to start the week Ms. Wanda. I hope the rest of your week is blessed beyond measure!

 
At August 24, 2010 at 4:10 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

What wonderful insights you have shared Wanda.

Sometimes it is uncomprehendable, that what God longs to give us, bestow on us, is a FREE gift! That is the life and life more abundant of His Son Jesus. Salvation. Deliverance. Healing. And so much more... a free gift, because we are the sons (yep, us sisters are sons lol), of the eternal, living God.

I think that is why people struggle so much to not try to earn their salvation... because it is so hard to believe such a mind-blowing gift... yet it is A GIFT!

 
At August 26, 2010 at 11:29 AM , Blogger CeCe Wilson said...

Wow, Deep thoughts my dear! I appreciate your always having something for me to think about. I've been faced with this question before with my prayer life. I think that is why sometimes we don't always get what we want or think we need from God. Slavery may be the place of asking things from God amiss because we are coming from the wrong frame of reference. A son can ask boldly either knowing his Father won't refuse or if He does it is out of His wanting our best good and timing. Slaves don't feel they have the right to ask no matter how much they have done for the Master and the asking is done more out of brazenness than boldness. Thanks for the mind food!

 
At August 26, 2010 at 4:18 PM , Blogger MPW said...

Serving from a slave mentality....wow!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home