This page has moved to a new address.

Goodbye White Pages

The Watered Soul: Goodbye White Pages

Nov 29, 2010

Goodbye White Pages

Image: Phone BookAccording to a newspaper article I read recently, phone books are becoming a thing of the past. With more people embracing technology and many doing away with landline phones, telephone service providers see a decline in the need for a printed book. Not to mention it helps cut their costs and helps saves the trees. Reportedly three states-New York, Florida, and Pennsylvania- have adopted regulations allowing providers to cease printing.                                                                                                                                                                                                           Photo credit: 19melissa68 via Flickr

 

Depending upon the area you live those phone books can be massive. Living in rural area, I do not have that problem. But, I do have several phone directories in  my house and from time to time I do use them but I’m more likely to look a number up online at whitepages.com. But does the use of technology make the old standby obsolete?

 

Reading the article caused me to think about another book that many people have at least one copy in their home – the Bible. Do we consider the words crafted along its white pages as being something that has very little value in our fast-paced, technology driven lives? Has it become antiquated? I’m all for technology but has it helped us to become more aloof to His Word? Or, has it deepen our longing for His truths? More sermons, articles, and devotionals are available now more than ever before  through podcasts, webcasts, blogs, and websites. But on a personal level has it lead to you only consuming regurgitated messages from someone else? Or, has it invoked within you an insatiable appetite for more of Him?

 

 

 

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At November 29, 2010 at 6:27 AM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

A most interesting post to read Wanda, you made some very good points.

Have a lovely day.
Yvonne.

 
At November 29, 2010 at 7:14 AM , Blogger Karen said...

When I asked my younger co-workers for a phone book, they stared at me like I had asked for a horse and buggy. "Google it!" they said. I pray that the internet will be a valuable tool for sharing the good news of Jesus Christ.

 
At November 29, 2010 at 9:07 AM , Blogger Joanne Sher said...

We WERE on the same wavelength! So I guess my post could be a comment to yours (hehe).

And maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I can't imagine not having a paper phone book. Hope Michigan doesn't go the way of the other states!

 
At November 29, 2010 at 11:42 AM , Blogger BLUEBUTTERFLY said...

I can't live without my Bible. The more I read it, the more I want to read it. It has never failed to be real and relevant to my life.

 
At November 29, 2010 at 1:24 PM , Anonymous Ginger said...

Oh my goodness. I hate the thought of that with the Bible . . . the phone book, not so much.

 
At November 29, 2010 at 3:10 PM , Blogger Petula said...

What a fabulous post. I was already to leave a comment about phone books when I read the end of your post. What you've pointed out is very interested. I wonder if technology has replaced individuals picking up the Bible and reading it instead of getting it off of blogs and whatnot. I, for other "reasons," have not opened my Bible for quite a long time. Great, thought-provoking post. Thanks.

 
At November 29, 2010 at 3:17 PM , Blogger Peggy said...

Blessings Wanda,

I'm all for saving a tree but I pray that we do not replace the Tree of Calvary with all this technology, nor the Word He came to BE!

I happen to love the internet but truly do not want to give up having "books" available whether it's a phone book or the GOOD BOOK of GOD!
I have Kindle for PC out of necessity to be able to read some books that are current but there's nothing like holding a book in your hands rather than staring at a screen, getting a headache or eye strain. Talking to a person is better than typing to one. So there's goods and bads but I could not live without ALL GOOD that comes from having God's Word in my hands and in my home.

Great topic and also I enjoyed your other posts but finding it's time for me to rest my eyes! Thanks for your visit to Beth Moore's Mondays.

Peace,
Peggy

 
At November 29, 2010 at 4:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post, Wanda! I do think with all of our technological advancements, we sometimes treat God's word as just another app for our phone or ipad. You know me. I love God's word, and flipping the white pages of the bible will never become obsolete.

 
At November 29, 2010 at 8:31 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

Such a very thought-provoking post, Wanda. I can honestly say that I have never loved my Bible more. Blogging, devotionals, etc. only increase my desire for God's Word - the Word that should inspire all thoughts, all sermons, all messages that come out of a person's mouth.

The Word of God is ALIVE, relevant, penetrating, convicting, encouraging, inspiring, comforting - the list could go on and on.

I am HUNGRY, Lord - feed me...

GOD BLESS!

 
At November 29, 2010 at 9:25 PM , Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Yes I heard that, white pages are gone! Thankful for the best white pages of the Bible
kim

 
At November 29, 2010 at 10:13 PM , Blogger Wanda said...

Thanks Yvonne, I'm always glad to have you stop in.
Karen, that's too funny. I believe the Internet is a great tool for spreading the good news.
Joanne, we definitely on the same page today ;)
Bluebutterfly & Kim, I'm find myself clinging onto the white pages of the Bible more and more these days.
Ginger, I probably could make it without the phone book, too but they Word I'm hanging onto.
Peggy, as much as I love technology, I still prefer holding a book in my hand too.
Monica, I think we have to be careful so that it doesn't become just another app for us.
Thanks Petula and I pray that whatever your "other" reasons are for not picking up the Bible that you'll be drawn to the One the Bible speaks of.
Sharon, I definitely finding myself to be more in love with His Word than I've ever been. And I get lots of food for thought when I visit others.

Thanks ladies for chiming in. Hope you each of a blessed week.

 
At December 2, 2010 at 10:37 AM , Blogger lioneagle said...

Hi Wanda -

NOTHING replaces turning the pages of GOD's Holy Bible.

We have more but many do less than those that did NOT have nearly as much as we do in way of gadgets, technology,etc. In the Bible, Enoch had none of that but it says that he walked with GOD and was translated.

There are people who have the latest technology but limited relationships with GOD. May He help us all.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home