This page has moved to a new address.

Reclaiming Ancient Paths

The Watered Soul: Reclaiming Ancient Paths

Oct 10, 2011

Reclaiming Ancient Paths

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This is what the LORD says: “Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. But you said, ‘We will not walk in it." Jeremiah 6:16

I admit I’m not one that appreciates the value and/or beauty of antiques. Like many, I have an eye for what’s new or modern. Much of advertising today is aimed at keeping us in pursuit of the latest it thing. Values such as modesty, monogamy, integrity, discretion are not portrayed as essential but are considered out-of-date. But is new always better?

In this particular passage, the people are instructed to pause and really look. To not just forge ahead making decisions mindlessly but to be conscious. Our lives are filled with crossroad moments and if we are not careful we can find ourselves on the wide open path of doing what is expected. Aimlessly following the culture instead of choosing a path with far less glitz and glam, accolades, or notoriety.

But the seeking for the latest and greatest is not where true satisfaction lies. Rather its discovered when go back to doing things God’s way that we find rest for our souls.

At this very moment you’ve entered a crossroad, which path will you choose?

This post is linked with Monday Manna

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At October 10, 2011 at 9:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda - as I was reading your post this thought came to mind - God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.
Great post
God bless
Tracy

 
At October 10, 2011 at 9:41 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wanda, this is really good! I'm learning to appreciate antiques now, but I've always been about the latest and greatest too. But I don't want to run after things just because they are new or even because they are old. I want to run after the things of God. That's all that matters.

 
At October 10, 2011 at 9:43 AM , Blogger Joanne Sher said...

Wonderful thoughts, Wanda. Thanks for sharing, and participating in Monday Manna.

 
At October 10, 2011 at 11:10 AM , Blogger Cynthia said...

Yes! You are right. STOP and LOOK. This is my mantra, but there are times that I am tempted to step off the path and do "it" my way. I always get hit by a "bus" and have to remove the bumper from my teeth! LOL! Blessings!

P.S. I'm glad you enjoy my crafts! Drop by my shop and peruse! http://www.etsy.com/shop/PrayerNotes

 
At October 10, 2011 at 11:28 AM , Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Amen! the latest and greatest it...is not where happiness is.

 
At October 10, 2011 at 11:54 AM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Wonderful post Wanda with the message coming over.

Yvonne.

 
At October 10, 2011 at 6:09 PM , Blogger Susie Swanson said...

Wonderful post, yes God is the same and always there for us.. Praise his Holy Name..Blessings, Susie

 
At October 10, 2011 at 8:54 PM , Blogger Carole in the UK said...

Mmm... It interesting, I have been reading a few blogs over the weekend, which all seem to imclude verses from Jeremiah and Isaiah, that have helped me greatly, to understand certain challenges I am facing at the moment.

Wanda, this verse is a direction from the Lord for me today.

God Bless you for sharing.
I was delighted to see you popped into The Faith Lounge for refreshment. Thank you for joining the conversation.

Carole in the UK

 
At October 11, 2011 at 11:58 PM , Blogger Ella said...

Hi Wanda, I have missed you~
I go for something familiar when crossroads occur. I prefer the old, better made, but I do like new, too~
See another crossroads ;D

 
At October 12, 2011 at 12:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is what God is really teaching me lately -- to pause and really look. I think our culture keeps us so rushed that we don't realize that history gives us insight into the paths we should take! Thank you for such a beautiful post!

 
At October 12, 2011 at 9:50 AM , Blogger susanwalkergirl said...

Very good post Wanda. We must be wise and mindful that we are engaged in a spiritual battle every day.

Praise God we have the Bible, God's holy inerrant word to compare and measure thing against so that we may choose wisely.

Blessings in Christ...Susan

 
At October 12, 2011 at 8:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, timeless. Integrity, timeless. Morals and values, timeless. Some things never change and I am thankful.

Always a pleasure stopping by, Wanda. Thank you so much for the warm birthday wishes.
Much love!

 
At October 13, 2011 at 12:49 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

I really love that verse. Sometimes when we get confused along the way, we need to return to a place where God is waiting to lead us again.

I am a huge antique-lover. I love them because of the stories that come with them. They remind me of simpler times. That's also what God wants for us - His way is narrow, and difficult - but it is the simple path of LIFE!

I am choosing to follow the Lord - not sure where the path is leading - but I know my Guide.

GOD BLESS!

 
At October 15, 2011 at 6:04 AM , Blogger lioneagle said...

Hi Wanda -

Yes the latest gadget mania is a trip, people waiting in lines...

Praise GOD that we don't need to wait in line to get the benefits of loving, trusting and obeying Almighty GOD.

THANK YOU, LORD, for how YOU enrich us with YOU. How grateful we are that YOU are the same yesterday, today and forever!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home