This page has moved to a new address.

Who Said You Were Exempt

The Watered Soul: Who Said You Were Exempt

Nov 14, 2011

Who Said You Were Exempt

Can anyone say with honesty that they welcome trouble? I certainly can not. For trouble is an equal opportunist. It cuts across all cultures, socioeconomic statuses,  and races. Money can’t shoo all trouble away. And even our profession of faith as Christ followers does not give us an all-exclusive pass from trouble.

Ezekiel serves as a prime example that you can be doing all the right things and still bad things happen. He was serving God, proclaiming His truths, yet he still received troubling news.

“Son of man, with one blow I will take away your dearest treasure. Yet you must not show any sorrow at her death. Do not weep; let there be no tears. Groan silently, but let there be no wailing at her grave. Do not uncover your head or take off your sandals. Do not perform the usual rituals of mourning or accept any food brought to you by consoling friends.” Ezekiel 24:16-17

Now putting myself in Ezekiel’s shoes, I wonder what my true response would be. Would I be tempted to whine about how unfair it all seemed? Would I continue to proclaim His truth despite my personal situation? I do not have to look back very far to see how I have failed similar tests. Unlike Ezekiel, I haven’t experienced the loss of a spouse but I have lost things as a believer. And I must say there have been times that I was a very sore loser.  My commitment level waned. My confessions of certain truths were less than normal. But that was not the case with Ezekiel, instead he proclaimed to the people the next morning, and in the evening his wife died but he still did everything God said.

Reading further in the passage, you will find that God was using him as a example for the people so that they might know that God is the sovereign Lord. Granted Ezekiel had the privilege of knowing before hand that this trouble was coming, which we don’t always have. But in the Word it tells us that in this life we will have trouble. Can God trust us (me) to be a proper reflection of Him even during troubling times? Will we (I) remain steadfast in our obedience, love, confession and serving?

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At November 14, 2011 at 8:35 AM , Blogger BLUEBUTTERFLY said...

Wanda, all weekend I've been focused on the concept of "sharing in the sufferings". We love the gifts and the benefits, but no one likes the suffering. I have yet to meet anyone who likes pain.

Thanks for the reminder that how we respond to suffering, to trouble, matters.

Thanking God for His comfort and presence in trouble.

We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. - 2 Corinthians 4:10

For as we share abundantly in Christ’s sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too. - 2 Corinthians 1:5

 
At November 14, 2011 at 9:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda - very deep thoughts today. I don't think my behaviour at loss has been a very good example but I think even in those times God uses our responses good or bad to guide us. You have challenged me to go read Ezekiel. Great post
God bless
Tracy

 
At November 14, 2011 at 4:50 PM , Blogger Susie Swanson said...

Great post Wanda and you've challenged me also to read Ezekiel.. Hope you have a nice evening, Susie

 
At November 14, 2011 at 10:27 PM , Blogger Ella said...

It is a tough test. I would like to be able to not feel remorse, but I find this a true challenge~
You are always thought provoking!xXx

 
At November 15, 2011 at 4:36 AM , Blogger Denise said...

Hard to remember sometimes that despite our heartbreak and the brokenness of our past (or how many pieces we have been broken into!), God can put us back together and use us as an example of the completeness that we find in Him and Him alone.

Great post!
Blessings and hugs,
Denise

 
At November 15, 2011 at 6:28 AM , Blogger Wanda said...

Bluebutterfly, you're so right. We do love to be partakers of the goodness but some how forget being in fellowship with Him in suffering as well. Tracy I just couldn't shake that passage of scripture. Susie thank you. It's a challenging book but some good lessons to glean from. EllaIndeed it is a challenge. Deniselove your statement...no matter how many pieces. Yes the potter can take the pieces and use us.

 
At November 15, 2011 at 9:02 AM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

A wonderful post Wanda most enjoyable to read and think about,


Yvonne.,

 
At November 16, 2011 at 7:35 AM , Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Would I whine? I think so...We all seem to have troubles but maybe it ends?? We will understand it all, eventually...trust until then

 
At November 17, 2011 at 4:25 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

I'm sorry to say that I would whine - how do I know this? Because I already do it in my own life now. Why do we have so much trouble understanding that in this life we WILL have troubles. And yet, we are to count them joy - because somehow they tie us even closer to our Lord and Savior.

Great word today, Wanda - you have me pondering.

GOD BLESS!

 
At November 18, 2011 at 6:06 PM , Blogger LisaShaw said...

Reminds me of Philippians 3:10-11 "I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead."

I have to be willing to know Him in the good times and in the bad!

Powerful teaching and reminder Wanda!

 
At November 19, 2011 at 3:30 PM , Anonymous Monica Watkins said...

I can attest (as I'm sure we all can) that during challenging times it's often quite difficult to boldly remain steadfast in the things of the Lord, especially when experiencing a loss such as Ezekiel experienced. Thank you for the reminder of Ezekiel's example.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home