This page has moved to a new address.

Open to Opportunity

The Watered Soul: Open to Opportunity

Apr 17, 2010

Open to Opportunity

Opportunities are around us daily. Opportunities to choose joy over sadness, to try something new over being stuck in the mundane, to walk in obedience, to touch the life of someone else, or to share the good news of the Gospel. Chances to rejoice rather than complain are available. Occasions to smile instead of frown. You know opportunities, big or small; our lives are full of them.

When I look back over my life, I wonder just how many opportunities have I missed. Much of my life has been lived out confined into a small, safe box, in a way. Having been the shy, introverted type didn’t lend itself to exploring new frontiers. Stifled by the fear of rejection and insecurities, I lost chances to meet and fellowship with new people. At times, I failed to obey the voice of God, preventing Him from revealing Himself to me in new ways. Immobilized by the fear of failure or fear of what others might think, I didn’t take the chance of engaging in new activities. Being so self-absorbed and consumed with the “what-ifs”, I neglected to share a word of encouragement that could have rendered aide to a fellow brother or sister.

I heard a lady once say that Passing Over Opportunities Repeatedly leaves you POOR. And I must agree. Hearing the word poor, we might immediately think of it economic terms but it simply means less than what is normal, necessary, or desirable; or low quality. Not seizing opportunities for new relationships can leave you with a low quality of companionship and less than normal chances for growth. For iron sharpens iron. As we walk in obedience, our faith increases. Lately, I’ve began to step out in small areas of obedience and I’ve seen my confidence in not only God’s willingness to use me but His great desire to use me in service to Him. He wants to use me, despite my insecurities and my personal temperament.

You may find that like me, you have overlooked a few opportunities. Don’t despair. Every day that you awaken you are given the chance to begin again. The same ones do not always come around again but rest assured that if you’re living, God is opening doors of opportunity to you each and every day. It’s up to us what we do with them.

I found a few keys in maximizing opportunities:

1) Conquering fear –some things you have to do afraid.
2) Being alert/aware- live consciously knowing that opportunities are available daily
3) Obeying God’s voice/word
4) Preparation – it’s too late to get prepared when opportunities present themselves.

A few scriptures to meditate on regarding opportunities:

Galatians 6:10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (NIV)

Ephesians 5:11-16 Don't waste your time on useless work, mere busywork, the barren pursuits of darkness. Expose these things for the sham they are. It's a scandal when people waste their lives on things they must do in the darkness where no one will see. Rip the cover off those frauds and see how attractive they look in the light of Christ.
Wake up from your sleep,
Climb out of your coffins;
Christ will show you the light!
So watch your step. Use your head. Make the most of every chance you get. These are desperate times! (The Message)


Colossians 4:4-6 Pray diligently. Stay alert, with your eyes wide open in gratitude. Don't forget to pray for us, that God will open doors for telling the mystery of Christ, even while I'm locked up in this jail. Pray that every time I open my mouth I'll be able to make Christ plain as day to them. Use your heads as you live and work among outsiders. Don't miss a trick. Make the most of every opportunity. Be gracious in your speech. The goal is to bring out the best in others in a conversation, not put them down, not cut them out. (The Message)


Mark 13:9 When these things begin to happen, watch out! You will be handed over to the local councils and beaten in the synagogues. You will stand trial before governors and kings because you are my followers. But this will be your opportunity to tell them about me. (NLT)


Luke 4:13 When the devil had finished tempting Jesus, he left him until the next opportunity came.

James 1:2
Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. (NLT)


Lord, forgive me for all the times I failed to take advantage of the opportunities presented to me. Open my eyes that I might see the opportunities all around me. And give me the courage and boldness needed to not only see but seize every God given opportunity. Amen

Now go in peace and may you enjoy a blessed weekend. Be sure to check out other "o" related topics in the A-Z challenge.


Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At April 17, 2010 at 10:13 AM , Blogger Will Burke said...

I can see why "conquoring fear" was #1. I've found that the absence of fear is a mental disorder, and the spite of fear is courage.

 
At April 17, 2010 at 10:13 AM , Blogger Will Burke said...

I can see why "conquoring fear" was #1. I've found that the absence of fear is a mental disorder, and the spite of fear is courage.

 
At April 17, 2010 at 10:34 AM , Blogger unnamed lad said...

...so true! Wanda, you've written some terrific posts. this one especially i can relate to all too well!!! you deserve an award for this one...IMHO! i hope you have a WONDERFULLLLL weekend IN HIS PRESENCE!!!

 
At April 17, 2010 at 11:33 AM , Blogger Survivormama said...

Wonderfully done and well said! I so agree that we do miss so many opportunities because of one thing or another...thanks for sharing and for the reminder to just trust God!

 
At April 17, 2010 at 12:37 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I wonder how many opportunities I've missed because I didn't know they were staring me in the face?

 
At April 17, 2010 at 1:07 PM , Blogger Grammy said...

Oh, my goodness, gracious yes! How awful it is to realize we let wonderful opportunities pass us by. This was a really great posting! Thank you for reminding me.
Ruby

 
At April 17, 2010 at 4:43 PM , Blogger Linda said...

Such a wonderful reminder and wonderful scripture references. I am especially drawn to Col. 4:4 when it says we should keep our eyes wide open In gratitude! Thank you for challenging us on this Saturday.

 
At April 17, 2010 at 6:51 PM , Blogger ModernDayDrifter said...

Such a good post to make us think. I know I've missed so many opportunities myself. I guess it's a rule of life or something. Awesome bible readings to share too! Thanks!

 
At April 17, 2010 at 7:08 PM , Blogger AmbitiousSingleMom said...

I too often sit back and think of all the different opportunities that I let sip by and it sometimes saddens me. I get sad because I cannot go back. But I try my best to now notice when something is right in front of my face so to speak. I don't always see what's there, but I'm a work in progress.

This was a really good post. Thank You...

 
At April 17, 2010 at 7:57 PM , Blogger Raquel Byrnes said...

Passing Over Opportunities Repeatedly leaves you POOR...I liked this. Inspirational post.

 
At April 18, 2010 at 12:54 AM , Blogger Arlee Bird said...

You have spoken for me. I am poorer now because I did not take advantage of so many, many opportunities when I was younger. That is indeed part of the foolishness of youth. That was a really fine post that spoke to many of us.

Lee
May 3rd A to Z Challenge Reflections Mega Post

 
At April 18, 2010 at 1:19 AM , Blogger Tahereh said...

a beautiful post. thanks so much for sharing :)

 
At April 18, 2010 at 9:08 AM , Blogger Wanda said...

@ Will, I believe that fear is a natural response, otherwise, scripture would not be filled with statements telling us not to fear.
@Bud,thanks and hope you have blessed weekend too.
@Shannon,trust is vital
@Mary, I believe there's so much we're blind to but I pray God opens are eyes.
@Grammy, bless you
@Linda, Col 4:4 is a good one indeed.
@ModernDayDrifter, we all have missed some; just have to make the most of the present.
@AmbitiousSingleMom-being present in our present day is the best we can do.
@Raquel-thanks, I had never thought of that way until I hear another woman of God speak that phrase.
@Arlee-I think missed opportunities is something we all have in common.
@Tahereh-thanks for stopping by.

 
At April 18, 2010 at 5:45 PM , Blogger Gregg Metcalf said...

Good post, always good to be reminded by these things and to take stock.

 
At April 18, 2010 at 7:59 PM , Blogger Ella said...

Great post; I love the way you think and how you bring key points to attention, Well Done!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home