This page has moved to a new address.

Ready, Set, Go

The Watered Soul: Ready, Set, Go

Apr 1, 2010

Ready, Set, Go

Well today kicks off the A-Z challenge. Today’s theme is the letter “A”. Lots of “a” words come to mind but the one sticking out to me at the moment is available. If you call my phone on a regular basis, from time to time my answering machine is bound to pick up with a recording, which says “sorry I’m not available to take your call right now but please leave a message.” When calling others, one of the messages I dislike the most is “the mailbox is full please try your call later”.


With the use of cell phones, instant messenger, and emails, one’s ability to be reach has certainly been expanded. Before the widespread use of such technology, the car was a quiet place to unwind from the days happenings. Vacations were sacred getaways but now even there we are available to be reached. DVR and TIVO make television programming available to be watched later at a more convenient time.

Merriam Webster’s online dictionary defines available as present and ready for immediate use. I cannot help but wonder how many times God has attempted to reach me only to receive the message that I’m not present and ready to be used. I know that God can reach us anywhere. But just like there are times when my phone rings and I’m actually home but I don’t hear it because I’m busy being distracted by other things, I would imagine there has been times when He tried to reach me. However, my spiritual ringer was turned too low or perhaps I did not feel like talking and decided to let the answering machine pick up instead. Some calls, television shows, blog posts, and emails we can afford to miss but being unavailable to God can leave us void of valuable information for our lives. Wonder how many divine appointments I missed with the Father because I was not available.

Father forgive me for the times I've let the cares of this world make me unavailable to you. Help me to not only be present but ready to be used in service to you. Attune my ears that I might hear you.  Thank you for loving me enough to keep calling me back to you when you find that I have drifted away. ~Amen~



Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At April 1, 2010 at 6:08 AM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

A wonderful start to the challenge, will be looking forward to reading more. We have, in this world come along way in techology sometimes I do wonder if it's all for the best.
Have a good day.
Yvonne.

 
At April 1, 2010 at 6:12 AM , Blogger Jessica Bell said...

Thanks for joining my blog :) Lovely post. One does wonder when we are ever going to be available nowadays. Our lives are so choatic ...

 
At April 1, 2010 at 8:44 AM , Blogger Arlee Bird said...

It's probably ridiculous, but my wife and I each have our cell phones and we have a land line-- and nobody hardly even calls us.

That should make me plenty available to pick up God's calls. I know I don't sometimes or just pretend I'm busy and say "I gotta run!". I hope I'm doing better--I keep trying. That is an exceptionally important post for us to hear. A very good way to start with the letter "A".
Thank you
Lee

 
At April 1, 2010 at 9:26 AM , Blogger Dee said...

Oh, girl. I had tears in my eyes by the end of your post. I love the way you used something we've all dealt with as a lead-in to something many of us seldom think of!

 
At April 1, 2010 at 8:29 PM , Blogger ModernDayDrifter said...

This is a really great kick off post for the challenge! You're so right, there's so many ways to get hold of people now! Great job and good luck!

 
At April 1, 2010 at 9:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a great post. All to often I am guilty of not being available when God tries to speak to me. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to learning more about you during our blogging challenge.

 
At April 1, 2010 at 11:25 PM , Blogger Will Burke said...

Nice take on "A." Wouldn't have thought of that! The trouble with ignoring our Maker is that it keeps getting louder! It's taught me to cultivate silence :)

 
At April 2, 2010 at 10:07 PM , Blogger Grammy said...

Hi, Wanda,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I am just now reading as many blogs as I can. It is late at night (11 p.m.) and I am reading and writing as quickly as I can. I am going to really enjoy reading your postings. God bless you and your unique way of looking at the ordinary.
Best regards to you.
Ruby

 
At April 3, 2010 at 12:12 AM , Blogger Tori Cooper said...

Wow... such a great example you used... I could relate to alot you were saying...:-) Great take on "A"!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home