This page has moved to a new address.

Just a Few Steps From Home

The Watered Soul: Just a Few Steps From Home

Sep 27, 2010

Just a Few Steps From Home

It’s something about those last few steps from the house that seem the most arduous when finishing up my walk. Just when I can finally see my house in sight, my strength wanes. As I rounded the corner Saturday, with my home in full view, God interrupted my walk to illustrate to me the position that I believe many find themselves in at this very moment.

Why would coming home be hard? For me, my home is a place of comfort. My little place of tranquility from the noisiness of the outside world. It contains so many of things I love. So, it seems I’d be sprinting home.

Spiritually speaking home represents our connectedness with the Father. He showed me that many people we’ve been praying for are just a few steps from home. But these last few steps before turning their lives over to God are often the most difficult. Sure they’re tired from the toiling of their current lives but they wonder can they really make it to God. The bondages of sin confines their movement and thoughts in their minds try to convince them that they’ll never make it. It’s too late. They’ve already missed their chance. Or they’ve done too much.

Home is not just a place of comfort but it’s also a place of responsibility. Owning a home requires that I pay some bills and provide maintenance to the house. In the same way, giving our lives to God positions us for responsibility. I’m not talking in the sense that we have to earn our salvation. Salvation is an unmerited gift made available to all of us because of the finished work of the cross. But many wonder when I make it to God can I really do all that He requires. Can I live up to His name? Can I be a proper reflection of Him?

 
As we pray for others, we are not always able to see outwards signs of their moving closer to Him. Yet I'm encouraged to continue pressing and praying. For who knows, today just may be the day they return home. 

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At September 27, 2010 at 1:29 PM , Blogger MTJ said...

Hi Wanda,

You've written such a sensitive and thoughtful post. You're right in saying that, "we are not always able to see outwards signs", that those we pray for are moving closer to God; but we can trust the Lord with their life just as we trust Him with our own.

Blessings and peace.

MTJ

 
At September 27, 2010 at 2:02 PM , Blogger Beth in NC said...

Great reminder to press through Wanda. You're right, often times it is harder when we are about to birth something ... push, push, push!

Bless you!
Beth

 
At September 27, 2010 at 2:14 PM , Blogger BLUEBUTTERFLY said...

Reading this, I felt as if you were in my morning meditations. Press on! Pray on! Endure!!!! Hallelujah!!!

 
At September 27, 2010 at 3:15 PM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

A great post Wanda, something for me to mull over later on. Most thought provoking.

Yvonne.

 
At September 28, 2010 at 6:30 AM , Blogger Wanda said...

Pushing and praying indeed. Well God knows just when we need to hear thing Blue b/c I've had the draft of this post written for over a week but finally felt it was time to post it. Appreciate all of you stopping by.

 
At September 28, 2010 at 6:31 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

oh wow!!! I LOVE what He showed you! So true!

When I walk our newest dog of an afternoon, she picks up the scent of home half a block away. And.she.runs. And, I have to try to keep up to her lol. She is on a lead so I have little choice. But she is so skitterish away from home, and can't wait to get back there for all it's familiarity and security.

We can learn from this dog I think. That's for the Christians. The ones about to 'come home to Him', do often struggle to make the final half block because of the what-ifs and spiritual battles.

Excellent post my sister!

 
At September 28, 2010 at 8:42 AM , Blogger Rae said...

You never fail to provoke thankfulness and humbleness in my heart. Your posts always start my day with a positive eye on God and His generous mercy.

 
At September 28, 2010 at 9:25 PM , Blogger Ella said...

I am so glad you posted this! YOU waited til it felt right! I found it unique, we both posted about HOME!
Our soul's are our homes, when our hearts rest with ease. xXx

 
At September 29, 2010 at 7:42 AM , Blogger LisaShaw said...

Wanda,

This is rich! I press and pray and do it all in Jesus Name! Powerful reminder...thanks friend!

Blessings,
Lisa

 
At October 23, 2010 at 3:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I read this I thought about one particular person very dear to me who I believe fits what you've described in this post. I will continue to pray that he gets his second wind and is able to make that last push toward "home", an all-in loving relationship with Jesus Christ. Thank you for this post. It was a very encouraging reminder.

Monica

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home