This page has moved to a new address.

Just a Matter of Moments

The Watered Soul: Just a Matter of Moments

Oct 15, 2010

Just a Matter of Moments

Photo via Flickr by ktylerconk

It’s the moments that matter most. Our lives are full of moments. Sometimes I think I lose focus that it’s really all about the moment I’m in at this time. Often, I’m not feeling present but my mind is wandering to next thing on my to-do list. Many moments have passed and the next moments aren’t promised to any of us. Therefore, all I have is this present moment and how will I choose to spend it? If I squander all the moments I’m given, at the end of life, I will realize that it was not just moments I lost but my life wasted. If the moments are really what matter, how do I make the present one count?

The time of pressure reveals what I given in exchange for the bulk of the moments of my life. Did I exchange the moment for money? Or did I exchange it for folly? Was it trivial pursuits that consumed the most of my moments? Or perhaps it was negative thoughts that I spent so many moments dwelling. Was idle words and no activity that sucked away the moments of my life?

Forgive me Lord for failing to see the value in just this moment of my life. Show me how to take one moment at a time and build a life that is pleasing to you-one that is according to your plan. I allowed the frustrations, distractions, obligations, and pressures in life to lull me into sleep-filled activities without really choosing to make the moment count. 


I leave you with a few quotes:

“You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have really lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.” - Henry Drummond


“The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers.” - M. Scott Peck


“Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson



Labels:

12 Comments:

At October 15, 2010 at 2:55 AM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Really wonderful Wanda,

Yvonne.

 
At October 15, 2010 at 5:20 AM , Blogger MTJ said...

Hi Wanda,

I love how you ask questions that require answers. Too often, the questions one hears go ignored.

"If the moments are really what matter, how do I make the present one count?"

As I considered this one question (which spawned so many in my mind), here are my thoughts:

Moments are like the still images of a camera; slices of time. When moments are paired with a life, it takes on something a camera cannot capture. There is a vibrance of life and color the lens cannot see, a smile, a gesture, a conversation, a meeting of eyes; it is then that moments become a true part of one's life.

Although I can't reclaim any moment of my life, I can cherish those moments which I gave of myself to someone. I can invest this moment I have in giving myself.

What I see is that my moments are never lost, they are invested. Some of my investments never produce a return and they become forgettable and at times, regrettable. But those moments which bring me dividends are the moments which are memorable.

I believe God blesses me with opportunities for memorable moments and I'm most grateful to Him for them; I quietly praise Him in this my moment.

Blessings and peace.

MTJ

 
At October 15, 2010 at 5:55 AM , Blogger Karen said...

This is a wonderful truth. I especially like the Henry Drummond quote. Bless you!

 
At October 15, 2010 at 7:01 AM , Blogger Rae said...

Love the quotes and all the questions. It seems I've given a lot of thought lately to how I spend my time and how fast it slips away.
Have a great weekend, Wanda!

 
At October 15, 2010 at 8:39 AM , Blogger Karen said...

Beautifully worded reminder...very timely for me...

 
At October 15, 2010 at 9:33 AM , Blogger BLUEBUTTERFLY said...

Yes, Lord...Yes, Lord.

 
At October 15, 2010 at 11:50 PM , Blogger Bernadine said...

Love this post Wanda. I needed this reminder because it's so easy to be in one moment and thinking about another which means we don't get the full benefit of the moment we're in.

 
At October 16, 2010 at 12:05 AM , Blogger Sharon said...

Wanda - This was great. I have spent so much time (TOO much time) either regretting the past or worrying about the future. God doesn't call me to that! He gives me His daily bread - that's what I think about when I think about moments. God gives me THIS day, with its moments - it's up to me to make them count.

I really liked the quote by Peck -

Lord, help me to "step out of my rut" - help me to concentrate on making finer moments...

GOD BLESS!

 
At October 16, 2010 at 6:55 AM , Blogger Just Be Real said...

Wonderful and thought provoking post Wanda. The quote from Emerson and Peck, for that matter Drummond are inspirational. Thank you for sharing. Blessings.

 
At October 16, 2010 at 8:08 AM , Blogger Merana Leigh said...

Wanda - I found you thru MTJ above. What wonderful post! You bring to it, such a great openness & vulnerability to explore. I also love what MTJ said, "moments are never lost, they are invested". I look forward to following you & invite you to do the same. I will welcome your insightful comments. Blessings to you ~ Merana

 
At October 16, 2010 at 4:42 PM , Blogger Wanda said...

thanks Yvonne!
MTJ, I love what you have shared but especially this one...moments are never lost, they are invested. Very profound way to look at it. Just like making investment with our money, there are times the investment of our time is wise and other times they are not.
Rae oh me too. I don't if it's because I'm getting older or what but it seems that days go by so fast and what my time here to matter.
Karen, Bluebutterfly, & Karen pleasure to have you ladies stop by.
BernadineAbsolutely and i find myself doing that too much lately.
SharonI can say ditto for me. May He teach us how to make the most of our time.
JBRyour welcome. I collect quotes...sometimes just a fine lines for someone can be the spark one needs.
Merana Nice to meet you and happy to have you drop by for a visit. MTJ has been such a blessing since our paths crossed. He always offers such wonderful words of wisdom and I was drawn to that exact same statement from his comment. It's one I'll be chewing on for a while. I look forward to getting to know you.

 
At October 18, 2010 at 5:20 AM , Anonymous Monica Watkins said...

Great post, Wanda. I really enjoyed the last quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson. Reading this in the morning will really help me to guide my day, being more thoughtful of the moments it contains and What I do with them.
Monica

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home