This page has moved to a new address.

How does your garden grow?

The Watered Soul: How does your garden grow?

Apr 8, 2011

How does your garden grow?

 

cohdraNKNgardntools5Have you notice how easy it is to gripe rather than express gratitude? As I read The Message version of Colossians 3:15 ( Let the peace of Christ keep you in tune with each other, in step with each other. None of this going off and doing your own thing. And cultivate thankfulness.) one day, I kept been drawn to the word cultivate.  It made be think of gardening and how one has to work hard at breaking up the ground before planting seeds. But the work of gardening doesn’t just stop when the seeds are sown but it requires continuous care to keep the weeds from snuffing out the life of the good plants.

Thinking about gardening brings up memories of my grandmother, she meticulously tended and groomed her garden and kept her grounds free of leaves. I often wondered why she was so obsessed with raking the leaves. Back then it seemed like she was out picking up leaves daily even when you could easily count just 5 or 6 leaves floating around.  Persistent and consistent in her watch of the landscape, she did not allow the weeds or leaves to overtake her ground.

Like my grandmother or Big Mama as we called her, I need to be ever on the look out for things that would come to smother out gratitude in my life. It does not take much effort to think of something to complain about but I have to work at seeing the good and expresses thanks for it. Rather easy to take a peek at another person’s garden and get excited about the glitz and glam of their fruit but when is the last time you have examined the good fruit of your ground? Romans 12:6b says, in his grace, God has given us different gifts for doing certain things well. Have you thought about that grace? I always thought of grace from the perspective of underserved mercy and salvation and that certainly defines grace. But His grace also equips me with certain gifting. Can I be honest for a moment? I am guilty of looking at the gift of others and sizing myself up as coming up short. I so wish I had the gift of gab (as I call it) like my mom or the gift of encouragement like my sister but I was not graced with it. So I can either gripe about it while neglecting my own gifts or I can get about the business of cheering them on while cultivating my gifts.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At April 8, 2011 at 10:36 AM , Blogger Kim@stuffcould.... said...

It is work to keep the weeds out. I called some of my grandparents Big Mama and Big Daddy too.
kim
ps. It is worth the work

 
At April 8, 2011 at 10:46 AM , Blogger Joanne Sher said...

Great reminder, Wanda. Gotta be vigilant!

 
At April 8, 2011 at 11:14 AM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

A wonderful post Wanda, it was refreshing to read.

Yvonne,

 
At April 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM , Blogger BLUEBUTTERFLY said...

The gift of grace is such a wonderful blessing, and so important to growing and grooming life's garden. My dad was much like your grandma. I never really understood why he put so much work into his gardens until I got old enough to understand what happens when a garden was planted and left to run wild. I realized that good intention in planting was not enough. It required work, work and more work...constantly.

 
At April 8, 2011 at 1:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

We are all parts of the body. God made each of us different and gave us different gifts. We need to make sure we are using those gifts instead of focusing on others gifts.

Have a blessed weekend, Wanda!

 
At April 8, 2011 at 3:32 PM , Blogger FilmMattic said...

Interesting post. I'm not one to garden, but I appreciate nature and its natural beauty.

And nice blog!

 
At April 8, 2011 at 6:24 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

Wanda - what a great word! Yes, I have been guilty of checking out other people's gardens, and being envious of them. And then, looking at mine, and getting very discouraged. I am not proud of that - but just being honest.

However, if I'm looking at other gardens, I'm probably not tending to mine, you know?? Yes, your advice is perfect. Cheer on our brothers and sisters, thank God for His grace - and ask Him to help us grow as much as possible in our own garden!

GOD BLESS!

 
At April 8, 2011 at 11:28 PM , Blogger Petra said...

Wonderful post! I like working in the garden. I even like pulling weeds! I'm strange like that. :-) And you're so right, we need to check our own fruit and pull our weeds. The master gardener will help, and He will even prune! Blessings!

 
At April 13, 2011 at 11:01 PM , Blogger lioneagle said...

Hi Wanda -

Wow! Imagine my surprise when I came here tonight and noticed your topic's title.

Just yesterday I did a post titled, "HOW DOES OUR GARDEN GROW?" We have a one word difference in our titles.

I wonder what our Lord is doing with this garden message...?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home