This page has moved to a new address.

It Takes the Stinky Stuff

The Watered Soul: It Takes the Stinky Stuff

Dec 14, 2011

It Takes the Stinky Stuff

Dung-Luke 13-6

And he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none.  And he said to the vinedresser, 'Look, for three years now I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and I find none. Cut it down. Why should it use up the ground?' And he answered him, 'Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and put on manure.  Then if it should bear fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut it down.'" (ESV) Luke 13:6-9
Jesus gives a parable about a fig tree in which an owner had been expecting fruit from it for three years. Exacerbated by the lack of fruit after all this time, he orders the vine to be destroyed. As I read several translations of this passage, I was reminded that it often takes the manure of life to produce real growth in us. As long as we reside in places of familiar comfort to us, we just exist. Producing little for the kingdom. We pray little, confess little, give little, study little, focus little, aim for little. But when trouble hit, it has a way of stirring up our prayer lives, driving us to fasting, compelling us to study, and it realigns our focus on things that truly matter in our lives.
Each of us have been allotted a time here on the earth. And how are we making use of our time? Are we just using up the ground? I don’t want to be guilty of fruitlessness. I don’t want God to grow weary of me just sitting around doing nothing. However, we should be cautious about busyness. Busy schedules are not an adequate measuring stick for fruitfulness.
The vinedresser requested more time in order to do two things.
1. Dig
2. Dung

Digging requires effort and it cuts into something that was hard or solidified and breaks into smaller parts. It separates things. For God to dig us out of those familiar places we’ve settled is uncomfortable. It’s irritating. Dung (manure) stinks. Who wants to endure being broken and being surrounded  by smelling situations?
Don’t be disheartened if you find yourself  encircled by dung during these days. Don’t even become discombobulated by the un-comfortableness of the things being broken down or detached from you. It all has purpose—growth.
Don’t miss the Common English Bible giveaway here.

Joining Word-Filled Wednesday and Winsome Wednesday.

Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

At December 14, 2011 at 6:47 AM , Blogger Ann Summerville said...

Good post. We expect things to be done when we want it but God's timing is perfect.
Ann

 
At December 14, 2011 at 7:01 AM , Anonymous JBR said...

Trusting God to act is hard. Especially when we have been waiting on our terms, a long time. Blessing

 
At December 14, 2011 at 7:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanda...thank you...for visiting my blog, but mostly for these wonderful and true words about the stinky stuff. So true and I love the way you wrote about it.

Mary

 
At December 14, 2011 at 7:39 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Wanda, you nailed it! Thanks for the perfectly timed reminder! I am surrounded by dung and now you gave me a brand new perspective!

Thanks,
Lisa

www.moretobe.com

 
At December 14, 2011 at 7:41 AM , Anonymous Felecia said...

I am often discombobulated but now I know that God is working on me! Thanks for the visual! Love it.
Blessings,
Felecia

 
At December 14, 2011 at 7:43 AM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

An excellent example of it takes time.......not when we expect things to happen.

Yvonne.

 
At December 14, 2011 at 7:56 AM , Anonymous Kaye Swain - SandwichINK for the Sandwich Generation said...

:) What a fun and truth-full devotion for this Advent & Christmas Word-Filled Wednesday! You gave me a good chuckle but at the same time, isn't this the truth! And the best part of it all is that, no matter what you are surrounded by - or how smelly it may be - God is right there with us, holding us close, leading the way. Thanks for a lovely and fragrant blessing today. :)

 
At December 14, 2011 at 8:40 AM , Blogger BLUEBUTTERFLY said...

Lord Jesus...Wanda, I'm laughing and I'm crying. I'm out of words (you'll see why when you read my blog), but I've got some digging to do for sure.

 
At December 14, 2011 at 9:35 AM , Blogger Pam Williams said...

Food for thought for sure, Wanda. I have found it very true in my life that times of spiritual growth are often associated with events that were uncomfortable and sometimes that downright stunk!
Blessings!
Pam
2 Encourage

 
At December 14, 2011 at 9:45 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is really good, Wanda! Growth takes hard work - pruning and fertilizing. But I want to grow closer to God.

Many blessings!

 
At December 14, 2011 at 1:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I remember a preacher saying that the Vinedresser is never closed to the vine than when He's pruning it. OUCH!

 
At December 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM , Blogger LeAnn said...

Indeed, it is all so true! Thanks for stopping by my place earlier, it was a blessing to visit yours.~

 
At December 14, 2011 at 3:39 PM , Blogger Kandi said...

Wanda,

So glad you stopped by my place so I could find yours because I needed to read these words today, I have done some extensive digging in my life although it is hard we know that in the end it will produce fruit.

Blessing to you Wanda.

 
At December 15, 2011 at 12:25 AM , Blogger Rhapsody Phoenix said...

Blessings....
hmmmmm, englightening and thought provoking.\


stay blessed\
Rhapsody
http://twitter.com/rhapsodyphoenix

 
At December 15, 2011 at 12:41 AM , Blogger Alida Sharp said...

What a great post. I am not a fan of digging or of spreading manure but I see the value in both. Our growth in Him is so much important than our comfort.

 
At December 15, 2011 at 12:11 PM , Anonymous Blue Cotton Memory said...

So life stinking can be really good? My teens stinking up life a bit is really good for me? With a house full of boys - and teens - this not only hit my funny bone - but it sure hit the deep down truth. Teen challenges have put my faith to work, brought me closer to the Father, and taught me more about the power of faith than I ever thought possible!

My stinky house loves your post!

 
At December 15, 2011 at 1:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda - all those horrible things we go through are fertilizer? Now that so makes sense why its not enjoyable growing fruit! Great post Wanda and thanks for linking up, I love seeing you there
God bless
Tracy :)

 
At December 15, 2011 at 10:28 PM , Blogger Reformed rebel said...

Wow...never thought of growth in these terms. Love your post1

Blessings...Chelle

 
At December 16, 2011 at 1:16 AM , Blogger Rhoda said...

That's a really interesting thought, and very true that the things which help us grow are usually not that pleasant! Thanks for your visit to my blog.

 
At December 17, 2011 at 8:05 AM , Blogger Nikki (Sarah) said...

great post... great visual. Thanks Wanda

 
At December 18, 2011 at 3:15 AM , Blogger LisaShaw said...

Powerful Wanda!

"As I read several translations of this passage, I was reminded that it often takes the manure of life to produce real growth in us."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home