This page has moved to a new address.

Essential P’s in the Race of Life

The Watered Soul: Essential P’s in the Race of Life

Apr 19, 2010

Essential P’s in the Race of Life

Today the A-Z challenge continues and the letter of the day is P. As I pondered on various p-topics, two words were plastered in the forefront of mind-patience and perseverance. Unlike you perhaps, I don’t always like the sound of the word of patience. It conjures up ideas of extended periods of waiting, waiting, and waiting. Rather it’s waiting in line, being delayed by a slow driver in traffic, or sitting idly in the doctor’s office, I don’t always exhibit much patience. I become antsy, anxious, and complain because it’s seems like such a waste of time not being able to progress at faster speeds.


Merriam Webster’s dictionary defines patience as the capacity, habit, or fact of being patient. Patient is defined as bearing pains or trials calmly without complaint; not hasty; manifesting forbearance under provocation or strain; steadfast despite opposition, difficulty, or adversity. In some cases, the only choice we have other than waiting is forgoing the item or experience. Patience has to do with my attitude during the wait. And did you know that God is concerned about how we wait in life? The Word of God is filled with promises but they don’t appear overnight; there’s a time to wait on the fulfillment of the promise. Because He is God we can’t control the timing of the promise’s arrival; so waiting is inevitable but our attitude during this period is pretty important.

In my reading, I came across Colossians 1:10-12 which states, And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light. (NIV) I like to compare various translations of scripture and really like the Amplified version of verse 11- [We pray] that you may be invigorated and strengthened with all power according to the might of His glory, [to exercise] every kind of endurance and patience (perseverance and forbearance) with joy. The Message gives another look at Colossians 1:9-10 Be assured that from the first day we heard of you, we haven't stopped praying for you, asking God to give you wise minds and spirits attuned to his will, and so acquire a thorough understanding of the ways in which God works. We pray that you'll live well for the Master, making him proud of you as you work hard in his orchard. As you learn more and more how God works, you will learn how to do your work. We pray that you'll have the strength to stick it out over the long haul—not the grim strength of gritting your teeth but the glory-strength God gives. It is strength that endures the unendurable and spills over into joy, thanking the Father who makes us strong enough to take part in everything bright and beautiful that he has for us.

These passages of scripture speak volumes to me today. If I’m to have any increase in fruitfulness, productivity, or knowledge of God in my life, patience and perseverance are going to be essential. To accomplish any goal, like weight loss for example, one must persist in a particular state or undertaking in spite of counterinfluences, opposition or discouragement. And God knows that I have failed to complete some things I started in life. Some things I started out strong but quickly became discouraged or too impatient to see the end results. Looking at the passage, I see two other important P’s to incorporate in my life-prayer and power. My human power alone will only get me so far but being infused with His power gives me the ability to wait patiently and persevere. And prayer helps to tap into the greater power.


Discover what other A-Z challengers are discussing here.

Flickr photo by Jacob Garcia

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At April 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

I love this! I'm struggling with waiting, but know that He has already answered -- but I still have to trust Him. "In your patience possess ye your souls" Luke 21:19

 
At April 19, 2010 at 5:43 PM , Blogger Wanda said...

Thanks for sharing that scripture Lisa. I'll be meditating on that one.

 
At April 19, 2010 at 6:32 PM , Blogger BLUEBUTTERFLY said...

Wanda, the proof is in the pressing. Endure to the end in His unfailing love. -- "Have you never heard? Have you never understood? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth. He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak." -Isaiah 40:28-29

Peace, wonderful peace.

 
At April 19, 2010 at 7:42 PM , Blogger Ella said...

I have patience, but not when it comes to myself. I will have think about my soul more and God's will!

 
At April 19, 2010 at 9:16 PM , Blogger Wanda said...

@ Bluebutterfly, good reference verse.
@ Ellie, it's often easier to be more patient with others than ourselves.

 
At April 19, 2010 at 9:22 PM , Blogger Andrea said...

We definitely need patience and perseverance...I am a work in progress with both of these GODLY traits.
Blessings, andrea

 
At April 19, 2010 at 10:05 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Wanda, It sure is hard to be patient in losing weight.
I want it to fall off of me instantly. But it's taking it's own sweet time. It's hard when you don't see the fruit of the choices you are making...

It's hard in waiting on God as well. So often I want to see some evidence that something is happening, but so often I don't get to see that. It's when the perseverance kicks into gear... I must continue on even when I can't see things happening.

Thanks for your visit to my blog and your sweet words. I've been out of pocket for these last few days as my daughter miscarried last week. I've appreciated your visits to my blog and your sweet words.

Have a blessed day!

 
At April 19, 2010 at 10:57 PM , Blogger Grammy said...

Hi, I once heard that if one prays for patience, then God is going to send us situations that will test our patience, because that is how we build it up. I don't know if that is true or not, but it could be. I know I am certainly learning it with a husband who has dementia.
Ruby

 
At April 20, 2010 at 12:16 AM , Blogger Tori Cooper said...

Yes & Amen! Thank you for sharing those verses... love it! I like how you said it plain- patience is my attitude during the wait! :-D Great reminders- I think we all have to deal with learning patience... it's a humanoid thing!

 
At April 20, 2010 at 3:05 AM , Blogger duopastorale said...

Great encouragement! Thank you :)

 
At April 20, 2010 at 4:33 PM , Blogger Wanda said...

@ Andrea, me too!
@ Julie, I certainly understand. I've failed and given several times.
@Grammy, I believe that our answer to prayers do come in ways in which we least expect them.
@ Tori & Mike, God bless you

 
At April 20, 2010 at 6:26 PM , Blogger Gregg Metcalf said...

Patience is tough. No one including me likes to wait. It is a viture that by God's HS and our responsibility He adds to us. Great post!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home